Wednesday, October 3, 2012

How much did YOU spend?


There were 21 students in class who each wrote, on a piece of paper, how much they spent on their textbooks for the fall 2012 semester at Mesa Community College. The image below shows the amounts they spent.




With all that information, we had to input it into a TI-73 calculator. I had to interpret the mean, the smallest amount paid, the median, the standard deviation, and the mode. Before I found any of the information need, I had to look up what standard deviation meant. Standard Deviations are the SQUARE ROOT of the arithmetic average of the squared differences between each number and the mean of the collection of numbers. 
    I still don't understand what the means. When I added up the amount of money each student spent on textbooks, it was $6,129 for twenty-one students. 
      - The mean was 291.86; the average amount of money spent on textbooks was $291.86.
      - The smallest amount paid was 40; the least amount of money spent on textbooks was $40.00.
      - The median was 225; the middle price was $255.00.
      - The standard deviation was 174.21, most students spent between $117.00 and $465.00 for textbooks.
      - The mode was (200, 250)

2 comments:

  1. Your blog looks so good! I love the layout and effort you put into it. I can tell you worked really hard on it. This was the first one I saw that had pictures of actual activities we did in class, what a great idea! I am going to do that for mine. Also I appreciate that you put not only what you liked or understood but also what you didn't understand. That way if someone does understand they can leave you a comment explaining it. Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete